"It has been said that old buildings do not belong to us only; that they belong to our forefathers and they will belong to our descendants unless we play them false."
~ William Morris, 1834-1896
I have worked on the preservation of hundreds of historic properties – in many cases remodeling and/or enlarging them with sensitivity to their particular period and style of construction.
I have also provided expert testimony on behalf of various government agencies and provate individuals before hisotric preservation commissions, local architectural and zoning review boards, and courts of appeals. Similarly, I have served on historic preservation boards and commissions.
One of the most interesting historic preservation projects that I have had the privilege of being involved in was the removal of an inappropriate addition and its replacement with an addition built largely from recycled (architectural salvage) materials. It is the ultimate Green Building!
All windows and decorative details were salvaged from historic buildings demolished locally.
Floors and ceilings milled from salvaged lumber from a demolished carriage house. Other interior materials acquired from local salvage.
Everything, including the kitchen sink, is from salvage!
- City of Rockville, Historic District Commission 1991-1999; Chair 1992 & 1994. Scores of applications reviewed for historic area work permits and preservation tax credits. Organized many programs and served on various sub-committees.
- Montgomery Preservation Inc. Non-profit group promoting Historic Preservation. Treasurer and Board Member.
- Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission Expert witness.
PARTIAL LIST OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION PROJECTS:
- Pre-1783 “Longview” (Chiswell Farm), Dickerson, MD
- Pre-1783 Moneysworth Farm, Clarksburg, MD
- 1790 Adams House, Harpers Ferry, WV
- 1804 Warfield Farmhouse, Goshen, MD
- 1824 Joseph Chiswell White House, Boyds, MD
- 1840-1900 Pennifield Lock Houses, Potomac, MD
- 1850 “Dalecarlia” (Dillon/Locher Mansion), Hancock, MD
- 1885 Senator James B. Eustis House, Washington, DC
- 1890 Talbott/Abbe House, Rockville, MD
- 1890 Kennedy/Weingarten House, Cabin John, MD *
- 1891 Richards/Greene House, Rockville, MD *
- 1895 Littlefield House, Washington Grove, MD *
- 1903 Dr. Linthicum House, Rockville, MD *
- 1926 33 W. Lennox Street, Chevy Chase, MD
- 1945 B&O Railroad Station, Silver Spring, MD
* Montgomery County Preservation Award